Welcome to the Columbia R/C website. We have been operating as a model airplane flying club since about 1972. So we’ll just call it forty five plus years.
We are located in Columbia, Illinois along the scenic bluffs of the Mississippi River. If you are coming from Missouri, drive 4.2 miles east on 255 from Telegraph Rd. crossing the JB bridge, and take the first exit to the right “Columbia Illinois 3 South.” Immediately take the Quarry Rd Palmer Rd exit to the right. At the bottom of the exit at the stop sign take another right. Follow around past the Shell station with the red roof to the next stop sign and go straight. From there go two miles and our field is on the right side. Just look for the pavilion.
Weather Conditions – just 1.96 miles from the field, courtesy of Cameron! Click here.
There’s no question that it’s now the winter season of the year. Leaves are off the trees and it looks like winter wheat has been planted surrounding the field. Could that mean we will not be looking at a corn crop next spring?
Club membership renewal is due before the end of the year. Make sure you have your current AMA membership and take care of payment via PayPal from our site. Easy, just click here for PayPal payment to Cameron.
• The Annual Chili Cookout was a “not to be missed” event each year as always.
A big thank you goes out to club member Mark Dehn who has been doing this for a number of years. It’s one of the best events the club has all year long. It was a little “chilly” (get it?) but very windy. There was more eating and talking than anything else since it was too windy to fly.
• The Fall Swap Meet was a huge success.
It started out slow but within an hours time, it had turned out to be one of the best in all the years we have been hosting swap meets in the St. Louis area. There was a great assortment of new and used gear to choose from. RC enthusiasts and local club members should always plan ahead for our swap meets that are always in the spring and fall. Watch for the upcoming announcements about our Spring Swap Meet.
• We kindly received a YouTube video link from Fred Cronenwett, who is a member of the Lafayette Esquadrille CL Club (St Louis MO). He walked around the hall and took video of most of the table tops. It’s 18 minutes long but does a great job of showing the variety of gear that could be found at our swap meet. It also reminds me of the stuff that I wanted to buy. The link is here.
• Columbia RC welcomes all new members. Our club takes pride in the variety of people we have as members and the wide collection of talent we all represent. We get together and fly radio control aircraft and share our knowledge and experience with other members who have our common goals. Most of all we don’t take ourselves too seriously and our main goal is to be safe and always have fun. Click here for Information about joining the club and becoming a member. If you are renewing your membership after your first year there’s a PayPal link on that page as well, cool huh?
Columbia RC would like to hear from you. Contact us for any questions regarding membership, upcoming events, field details and any information you or your club would like to share with ours.
• Jeff Dixon – Club President – Email Jeff
• Mark Dehn – Club Vice President – Email Mark
• Cameron C. Cook – Club Treasurer – Email Cameron
• Willi Sobozinsky – Club Secretary – Email Willi
• Ken Dixon – Safety Officer – Email Ken
• Steve O’Rourke – Webmaster – Email Steve