Welcome to the Columbia R/C website.
We are an AMA sanctioned flying site, Club # 1366, District VI. We have been operating as a model airplane flying club since about 1972. So we’ll just call it forty five plus years.
We are located a little south of Columbia, Illinois along the scenic bluffs of the Mississippi River. Coming from the north or from the east from Missouri on Hwy 255, take the exit “Columbia IL 3 South.” Immediately take the Quarry Rd Palmer Rd exit to the right. At the bottom of the exit at the stop sign take another right. Follow around past the Shell station with the red roof to the next stop sign and go straight. From there go two miles and our field is on the right side. Just look for the pavilion.
Weather Conditions – just 1.96 miles from the field, courtesy of Cameron! Click here.
• June 6 – There is NO ACCESS to the field until further notice.
The latest news is, as of this morning, we have no access to the field. This information is directly from the Monroe County Sheriff’s Dept. Bluff Rd is blocked at Bottom Rd going South, nobody is allowed past that point. Their primary concern is protecting the people who actually live and have property, and or work in the area. Unfortunately our field is considered to be for recreational use and is not a high priority for them to make an exception.
The mowers have been moved to higher ground and the flight stands and chairs have been secured in case the field gets water. This is a day by day thing and as details are known, they will be posted here along with emails to all club members. Willi said he would also post updates on the club FaceBook page for those that follow that. Keep your fingers crossed, if we get flooded, the field could be closed for weeks and we could be looking at a horrendous clean up afterwards.
• If you haven’t renewed your club membership, you are way overdue and will be charged as a beginning member. Make sure you have your current AMA membership and take care of payment via PayPal from our site. Easy, just click here for PayPal payment to Cameron.
• Columbia RC is accepting new members again. We made a few changes to how our club is run to insure we attract new members and hold on to those who have been members of the club for many years. We get together with friends to enjoy this crazy hobby, have fun and fly safely. If you want to join, you need to fill out an application and mail it to our club treasurer. All you need for that can be found by clicking here.
Columbia RC would like to hear from you. Contact us for any questions regarding membership, upcoming events, field details and any information you or your club would like to share with ours.
• Jeff Dixon – Club President – Email Jeff
• Mark Dehn – Club Vice President – Email Mark
• Cameron C. Cook – Club Treasurer – Email Cameron
• Willi Sobozinsky – Club Secretary – Email Willi
• Ken Dixon – Safety Officer – Email Ken
• Steve O’Rourke – Webmaster – Email Steve