Welcome to the Columbia R/C website. We have been operating as a model airplane flying club since about 1972. So we’ll just call it forty plus years.
We are located in Columbia, Illinois. Drive 4.2 miles east on 255 from Telegraph Rd. crossing the JB bridge, and take the first exit to the right “Columbia Illinois 3 South.” Immediately take the Quarry Rd Palmer Rd exit to the right. At the bottom of the exit at the stop sign take another right. Follow around past the Shell station to the next stop sign and go straight. From there go two miles and our field is on the right side.
• Club Barbecue. The date is Sunday, September 11th. Bring your family, friends and planes along with a covered dish and the club will barbeque ham-burgers, hot dogs and brats. Bring your own beverages. Flying, outdoor grilling and getting together with all the good people associated with our club, it doesn’t get any better than that. Let’s hope the weather is good for an always popular club event.
• Chili Fly and Field Word Day. We are thinking about a field work day in October and we plan to cut back about ten feet of the trees at the south end of the field. Mark Dehn will be making a pot of chili over an open fire (about five or ten gallons, I believe), so it will be work and eat (and then recuperate). We will send out flyers with more information when the date is confirmed.
• Fall Swap Meet. The date is Sunday, November 6th at Turner Hall in downtown Columbia, Illinois. Our club consistently hosts one of the biggest and best RC swap meets in the St. Louis area. Click here for the flyer that provides all the details along with a map. You can download the JPEG file on the page and print it yourself or email the link to the page to someone you know to help promote the event.
• All club members have to register with the FAA. Effective December 21, 2015, anyone who owns a small unmanned aircraft of a certain weight must register with the Federal Aviation Administration’s Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) registry before they fly outdoors. People who previously operated their UAS must register by February 19, 2016. People who do not register could face civil and criminal penalties. Once you receive a registration number, you can use it on all of your unmanned aircraft if they meet the online registration criteria. You must mark the registration number on all aircraft you own. Click here to register.
• Columbia RC welcomes all new members. Our club takes pride in the variety of people we have as members and the wide collection of talent we all represent. We get together and fly radio control aircraft and share our knowledge and experience with other members who have our common goals. Most of all we don’t take ourselves too seriously and our main goal is to be safe and always have fun. Click here for Information about joining the club and becoming a member. If you are renewing your membership after your first year there’s a PayPal link on that page as well, cool huh?
Columbia RC would like to hear from you. Contact us for any questions regarding membership, upcoming events, field details and any information you or your club would like to share with ours.
• Jeff Dixon – Club President – Email Jeff
• Mark Dehn – Club Vice President – Email Mark
• Cameron C. Cook – Club Treasurer – Email Cameron
• Ken Dixon – Safety Officer – Email Ken
• Steve O’Rourke – Webmaster – Email Steve