Welcome to the Columbia R/C website. We have been operating as a model airplane flying club since about 1972. So we’ll just call it forty plus years.
We are located in Columbia, Illinois along the scenic bluffs of the Mississippi River. If you are coming from Missouri, drive 4.2 miles east on 255 from Telegraph Rd. crossing the JB bridge, and take the first exit to the right “Columbia Illinois 3 South.” Immediately take the Quarry Rd Palmer Rd exit to the right. At the bottom of the exit at the stop sign take another right. Follow around past the Shell station with the red roof to the next stop sign and go straight. From there go two miles and our field is on the right side. Just look for the pavilion.
Weather Conditions – just 1.96 miles from the field, courtesy of Cameron! Click here.
• 2017 Bye Bye Winter Classic – Tyler has offered to host a new event much like the ones we used to have when the only way there was to get a plane in the air was to build it yourself. Yes, before there were ARFs, that’s the way it was done. There are still quite a few good builders around and he would like to recognize those skills with a build-a-plane contest at the field. The date has been changed to Sunday, May 7, and we’re hoping for good weather (again). Click here for more details.
• All club members have to register with the FAA – Effective December 21, 2015, anyone who owns a small unmanned aircraft of a certain weight must register with the Federal Aviation Administration’s Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) registry before they fly outdoors. People who previously operated their UAS must register by February 19, 2016. People who do not register could face civil and criminal penalties. Once you receive a registration number, you can use it on all of your unmanned aircraft if they meet the online registration criteria. You must mark the registration number on all aircraft you own. Click here to register.
• Columbia RC welcomes all new members. Our club takes pride in the variety of people we have as members and the wide collection of talent we all represent. We get together and fly radio control aircraft and share our knowledge and experience with other members who have our common goals. Most of all we don’t take ourselves too seriously and our main goal is to be safe and always have fun. Click here for Information about joining the club and becoming a member. If you are renewing your membership after your first year there’s a PayPal link on that page as well, cool huh?
Columbia RC would like to hear from you. Contact us for any questions regarding membership, upcoming events, field details and any information you or your club would like to share with ours.
• Jeff Dixon – Club President – Email Jeff
• Mark Dehn – Club Vice President – Email Mark
• Cameron C. Cook – Club Treasurer – Email Cameron
• Tyler Blanchett – Club Secretary – Email Tyler
• Ken Dixon – Safety Officer – Email Ken
• Steve O’Rourke – Webmaster – Email Steve